Bam! Another day complete. Here are a bunch of bullet points about my second day at @recursecenter.
- First priority of the was to fix a bug in my blog.
- I spent the morning reading this awesome crazy paper about governments. It's the original paper for Paxos, which is a common algorithm in Distributed Systems.
- The paper totally made me need to read through Wikipedia's article on math symbols.
- I wasn't able to finish it (because it is insane), but I did enjoy parts.
- Took a break to help Andrew with some Nginx config questions, and tried and point Libby in the right direction with her Apache questions.
- "The Paxos algorithm, when presented in plain English, is very simple." Abstract for the simpler version of Paxos. I was also pointed at a visualization of Paxos by Rob.
- I had a long talk with Ken about all kinds of stuff, including how we both know Seth (and that Seth is great people).
- @neha walked us through Paxos, which was an interesting review of what I had read. I had originally thought of writing paper reviews of every paper I read, but this talk made me realize I didn't really understand it.
- Maybe I also need a better reading environment at RC... it was really loud so I had trouble focusing. I wonder if there is a printer...
- I'm not feeling up to it today, but at some point I want to work through 6.824 Lab 3.
- I grabbed dinner at Chipotle with a bunch of people, which included conversations with Heidi, Alex, Olivia, Agustin and Gonçalo.
Things to maybe look into later:
- Building a volume indicator for RC. Maybe a nice visual way to tell if it's crazy loud in the main room.