What's making me happy 2017-06-11
By Nat Welch
A late night #happy post. I spent the weekend rearranging and organizing the apartment with @mel_cantrell. It’s slowly starting to feel like home. But let’s talk about things I consumed, not things I did!
I loved Wonder Woman. I think all the hype is deserved. It was a good action movie, well done, had great writing and well done action scenes.
It’s E3 season, so lots of video game trailers making me remember how much I love the medium currently:
Sure, He’s Good at Basketball, but How Are His Twitter Skills? really spoke to me. It’s something I hadn’t really thought about, but makes a ton of sense at how different sports leagues have different marketing strategies and which are working better with certain generations.
Look, I love clocks, and here’s an old list of Weird Internet Clocks.
Controversy alert: The 25 Best Films of the 21st Century So Far. I’ve only seen about half of these, but do want to see them all.
Spent far too much time thinking about the things James Comey said this week:
- NYTimes: Full Transcript and Video: James Comey’s Testimony on Capitol Hill
- Read James Comey’s Prepared Remarks for Testimony
I had never heard about how few drivers in NY get prosecuted for hitting pedestrians… which is kind of scary. NYC Drivers Injured 1,083 Pedestrians and Cyclists in March, and Killed 12
In programming things:
- Supercharge Vim with Fzf and Ripgrep is another hot new super fast search thing.
- The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up Code is a well written set of thoughts on code cleanup.
- Fat, Static, and Happy: Building Bloomberg Lens talks about the wonders of static content serving.
I’m surprised this hasn’t been happening more often: Linux worm turns Raspberry Pis into cryptocurrency mining bots.
I feel like I read a lot of Recurse Center summaries this week, but apparently only bookmarked two… which is weird… since I bookmark everything I read.
- Week 2 at the Recurse Center by @loganmhb
- Never Graduate Week 2017: how we planned and ran our annual alumni week
This is a valid point on cloud hosting: Bandwidth Costs of Amazon, Google and Microsoft.
My work was in the news last week. I have no comment, and know nothing, but Errata Security: How The Intercept Outed Reality Winner was an interesting read from a technical standpoint.
Speaking of operational security, it’s being written about more and more lately. I don’t agree with everything said in these, but they are all interesting opinions:
- OPSEC for Activists, Part 1: The Basics
- OPSEC for Activists, Part 2: Packing for a Protest
- OPSEC for Activists Part 3: Always Carry A Bandana
- Journalist Training Follow-Up (Tech Solidarity)
- Spear Phishing Attacks
Finally, I’ve been researching signing up for either Playstation Vue or Youtube TV, and Turner CEO: YouTube TV Made A “Big Mistake” was a good read on what the differences are right now in regards to programming.
Anyways, have a great week!